Sunday, November 2, 2014

Unexpected losses, Surprising beginnings

As this semester draws to an end, college students everywhere are struggling with maintaining their grades as high as possible. Here at Sam, the struggle is real for some students who are still attempting to even pass a few of their classes. I am one of those students and boy, oh boy, is it a daunting prospect. Of course, it doesn't help when there is wonderful distractions such as rodeos, my boyfriend, and just recently, the Texas Renaissance Festival...
What I am going with all this is actually quite simple.

College is the highlight of most lifetimes here on earth.

Thinking back a couple years, I see how much things have changed. During this time of my life friends will come and go. Even friends you thought you would have never imagined saying goodbye too. A couple months ago, I lost one of the greatest people I've ever had the privilege to share 4 years of my life with. I can honestly say that with her, other lifelong companions, such as peanut butter and jelly wouldn't have ever stood a chance against the friendship we had.
But alas, here I am. And there she is.
If you're reading this, trust me when I say that I am not angry and I am not asking for sympathy. It's just interesting to see that from one second to the next, people will just be completely gone from your life and it's even more interesting to see that sooner or later we go from missing them, to occasionally thinking about them, to not even remembering them at all, despite how special they might have been at the time of precious camaraderie.

(3 years ago at The Texas Renaissance Festival)




The good news, though, is that someone better will always follow.



College is the time to experience new things and meet an enormous amount of new people. The great thing about meeting new people is that you are guaranteed to make long lasting friendships with a handful of them. That doesn't mean that you should forget about your old friendships though, because trust me when I say that those that stick around will be the most loyal friends you'll ever have.


I guess the inspiration for this blog is that just yesterday, I almost lost my favorite friend. It was so scary and so real. Falling in love with your best friend is already a crazy thing to happen, and pursuing a relationship with them is even scarier. But then to suddenly have to say goodbye after 11 years of friendship? Unbearable. I can't say that I would have been able to recuperate from that too well, and especially not at all quickly.


Again I will say, college is the highlight of most lifetimes here on earth. Live yours abundantly and don't let failed friendships bring you down. Before you know it, the "mature" adulthood lifestyle will catch up with you and you will have an ongoing list of regrets and adventures you never knew were possible to explore.

Until next time,

The Little Mexican Girl




 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 
Dear uniquely special reader, 

I hope that one day you will be courageous enough to comment on my blog and share your thoughts with me as well. I strongly believe that all persons on earth have a distinctive reason to exist and it would be my greatest pleasure to view the world from your perspective, especially if you are a college student like me. However, that does not exclude younger or older parties. The more the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment